Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Staples were removed today

I had my staples removed today and let me tell you - it hurt getting them out. It hurt BAD. At one point the nurse went to see if she could get me some pain meds because I was crying. Those that know me know I am NOT a pain wimp. I am far from it. So… you can only imagine how bad this was. The staples had been in for a little over three weeks and the way my stomach was healing it was almost enveloping the staples. So they literally had to be DUG out in places. Never again. Next surgery I am telling then NO staples. Sew me up instead please.

Because I had staples removed in two sections early, I still have two open sections of my wound so I still have to pack my wound once a day and be careful still about lifting. I have however, been given the OK to drive again. Not being a nurse or a medical professional of any kind, I find packing the wound daunting and kind of gross. It can hurt a bit but I have to do it for 2-4 more weeks! UGH. For those who don't know, packing the wound means I have to take a very long q-tip and stuff gauze into the open sections of my wound. When I change it I pull out the gauze (which looks nasty let me tell you - kind of mucousy) and repack. This pulls out all the gross stuff and letting my insides close up without getting infected. If I don't do this I could get an infection and fluid buildup and all sorts of new issues that sound painful so… the packing I will do.

Anyway

I will say overall I am feeling a bit less pain because the staples are out but because of how they came out, today has been rough pain wise. Luckily my hubs was home today so I didn't have to do much. I did lift the little one a bit today though so my wound leaked a bit more than normal. I know I am not supposed to but if you have little ones you know it is near impossible not to lift them at all ever in a day. I just try to do it carefully and not use my abdominal muscles. Careful lifting :)

I will be happy when all this is behind me, at least until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment