Thursday, June 12, 2014

Got to visit the hospital again today

Yesterday afternoon, after a night of insomnia again, I took a nap when my daughter did and woke up in horrible pain. Abdominal pain and nausea like I'd been having before surgery. After a while I developed some chest pain and a headache as well - probably due to a rise in BP.

Although my husband and friend suggested I go in and be seen I was, as my friend put it, being stubborn. I didn't want to go in AGAIN. I didn't want to be told there was nothing they could see (ER docs are not great with Crohns issues) and just sent home. I decided to try to sleep and see how I felt in the morning.

I woke up in pretty much the same pain. Minus the chest pain and headache.

So… we dropped the kids off with my friend and went to the ER. Where, I was treated like a faker.

First it took a good 30 minutes for them to bring me back despite the fact that there was no one else in the waiting room and the rooms were empty when I was taken back. Then I didn't even get assigned a doctor… just a PA.

The nurse came in to do my IV and I got a lecture about how I should really learn how to read my body and figure out when I really need to come in and when I should just grin and bear it.

I was asked by her and the PA what the problem was and was look at as if I was just there for meds.

They gave me pain meds, nausea meds, took blood and urine.

Hubs had to go pick up the kids.

While he was gone, the nurse came back, told me I didn't have a bladder infection so they were sending me home and "make sure you go to that test tomorrow"

I told her my husband went to get our kids and would be right back.

10 minutes later I was told I needed to vacate the room because they needed it for people who were sick.

YEP. Ok then. Because you know, I am big fat faker just here for dilaudid. Oh and on my walk back out the lobby… there was ONE person in the waiting room and still empty rooms back in the ER so… need the room my ass.

And that is why I didn't want to go in in the first place. It's not the first time, and won't be the last time, I wasn't believed.

And for anyone out there who may be an ER nurse….

This is not OK. I handle my pain well so it's not always clear that I am in as much pain as you think I am but if I can't stand up straight and am actually IN your ER then you can be sure I am in pain. I don't like coming there, I don't like being poked and prodded, I don't like being away from my kids… I am not there for a good time, I am there because I can't take the pain at this moment.

My test tomorrow will tell me if I have a fistula which, sadly, seems more likely since it's now been confirmed that I do not have a bladder infection. But… if it's not a fistula then, what the heck is causing this pain?! 

Have I mentioned how much I hate this disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment